Our setting believes that care and education are equally important in the experience which we offer children. The routines and activities that make up the day in the setting are provided in ways that:
- help each child to feel that she/he is a valued member of the setting;
- ensure the safety of each child;
- help children to gain from the social experience of being part of a group; and
- provide children with opportunities to learn and help them to value learning.
Each full day is divided into two sessions which we organise so that the children can choose from, and work at, a range of activities and, in doing so, build up their ability to select and work through a task to its completion. The children are also helped and encouraged to take part in adult-led small and large group activities, which introduce them to new experiences and help them to gain new skills, as well as helping them to learn to work with others. Outdoor activities contribute to children’s health, their physical development and their knowledge of the world around them. The children have the opportunity, and are encouraged, to take part in outdoor child-chosen and adult-led activities, as well as those provided in the indoor playrooms. These activities take account of children’s changing energy levels throughout the day. The setting caters for children’s individual needs for rest and quiet activities during the day.
Examples of activities we offer:
- Construction activities such as Duplo, Lego, Mobilo.
- Small world play such as dolls house, train set, cars.
- Creative activities such as playdough, jelly play, cornflour, painting, sticking.
- Outside play including bikes, scooters, balancing, sand play, balls, parachute.
- Stories, circle time, computers, games, puzzles, home corner, dolls and buggies, and many, many more.
Snacks and meals
The setting makes snacks and meals a social time at which children and adults eat together. We provide a snack for the children in the morning, and menus are planned for snacks so that they provide the children with healthy and nutritious food. Parents are asked to provide their child with a packed lunch if they are present at lunchtime. Please tell us about your child’s dietary needs and we will make sure that these are met. We are a nut-free zone, so please adhere to this. Please can you also ensure that if your child has grapes then they are cut in half lengthways.
Examples of snacks we offer
- Morning: Cereal, toast, cheese and crackers, crumpets, toasted muffins.
- We offer milk or water to drink at snack time, and milk, water and fresh fruit is available for the children at all times.